Monday, December 15, 2008

Silly Mistakes can be really damaging

Hey there,

Today, is really a great day..(sigh..) I have been working on this particular clone for at least six months. Cloning it is really tough as the kit that we are using is not as efficient as claimed by the company. So, after all those while of cloning, transforming and analysing without any success, yesterday, out of four plates, I got a single colony. This is good enough as previously I was getting nothing at all. And there is one group in UM who are also working on a similar project-they got a single clone which contains the insert. So, i was hopeful that the hard work has ended. Instead, that evening itself I had mistakenly cultured the single colony with the entry clone antibiotic which is different from the destination vector's antibiotic. This is sickening and I JUST DISCOVERED IT THIS MORNING AFTER REMOVING IT FROM THE SHAKER. The culture did not turn cloudy, then it hit me that the antibiotic is wrong. I quickly went to the decon bin to serach for the plate that I HAVE DECIDED to throw away yesterday after culturing. All hopes of rescuing any of the clones streak was totally dampen with the fact that no matter what I can't find the plate. It is probably buried with the rest of the plates in the bin. I hate myself for this mistake. Now, I have to repeat the whole thing from the very start.

No comments: